Tuesday, May 6, 2008

To Begin

I was born in Northwestern New York, in a small town called Jamestown. My dad worked at Carborendum, above the furnace for several years. He then started his own business as a service station owner. He had a setback and decided to move us all to Newport News, Virginia. He was taught how to weld, and pipefit on the big ships there. This was when the busing started in the early 70's. I got lost my first day of school, and the bus left without me. They locked the school immediately after the last bus left. I decided I could walk home, I could see the highway; once I got there I knew how to get home. After all, I was 13 and almost an adult. I saw the field I could walk through to get there, just as I was going a little boy came up to me and asked if I planned on walking through the field. I told him I was, I had to get home. He said you see those boys over there, and pointed to halfway across the field and way in the corner by a fence. I told him yes, and he said they were waiting for me, to do something bad to me. He told me to follow him and he'd get me to the highway another way, so I did....

A guy I had just started dating, (who had a car) had already been called by my mom to look for me. He was on the highway and made a u-turn when he saw me and took me home. There were cops all over the place, when I explained what happened; I don't know how many times I was told how lucky I was.

After that, we moved to a little town called Mina Corners in N.Y.. This is where I met my husband of almost 33 years. We were friends, for a year or so; then started dating. We were married in my Grandmothers church in Westfield, NY. It was standing room only and at 17, this was very scary to have all these people watching me.

A little over a year after we were married, we were blessed with a beautiful daughter. My parents had moved to Denver, Colorado. We went there on vacation, my husband put an application in at Coors and was hired. He moved us out to Colorado in 1976, and we have lived in this beautiful state since. Three years later, we were blessed with a son.

After that it was, taking care of children, paying bills and working. I was one of the rare women at that time, that went to work; in fact my husband was razzed at work about him not being able to support us. Even though, it was me that wanted a career.

I went into banking and for 28 years worked in that industry. From tellering, to being a regional manager, to business banking, commercial and residential lending, and collections. I was getting tired of the rat race and a small business owner talked me into coming to work for him. Which I did for 3 months, when I was on vacation; I learned he had closed his business.

Another person I knew through some business networking had been trying to get a hold of me to talk about a position he thought would be good for me. I had a job within 3 days after I got back from vacation, without putting out a resume.

I now have been made partner in a business that writes business plans, consults, and trains, and finds working capital for businesses. It's almost been a year and I am having a great time.

How could I almost forget to talk about my 2 beautiful granddaughters. They are the stars and sun of our life. They are 11, and 9, and live about 15 minutes from us. I will post pictures in the near future.

No comments: