Friday, September 26, 2008

2 more scrapbook pages of my Grandma Nichols




I did these pages a while ago, but never posted them :( . The one with Nichols on it is all creative memories except for the Thickers. My Grandma Nichols was an inspiration to me. Not only raising two young boys on her own in the late 40's early 50's, because her husband passed on. But, when my dad married my mother, taking my mother under her wing, and teaching her to cook and bake with my dad's help. Giving guidance, never an opinion without being asked, but you knew if she didn't agree. If someone was down and out, even if she didn't have it; she would do what she could and even go without herself to help them out. She taught me how to crochet, and helped me when I was learning to sew. That's not to say my mom didn't help me as well, but sometimes I would listen to my Grandma before I would listen to my mother. I loved to listen to her stories of her life. She loved my Grandpa so much and missed him every day. It was awesome to see that kind of love displayed. When my daughter was almost 3 and I was very pregnant with my son, my parents took her to see her GGrandma; she called her the cookie Grandma. She had made cookies just for her. She lived and grew up in and around Westfield, NY, in Chautauqua county. When she passed on, I believe that was the hardest thing I ever endured. I think of her often and at the holidays especially, because of my memories when I was younger and she was a big part of the holidays. As well, when I garden and have tomatoes and cucumbers, she had taught me how to can. Even though, I don't do this anymore, I truly appreciate the time and effort people went through to can. This is long hard work.

No comments: